- 19 1/2 ounces white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces food coloring (Gel food coloring is best, Betty Crocker offers traditional colors as well as neon colors)
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- 1. Mix the cake batter according to package directions.
- 2Evenly divide prepared batter into several different bowls. The amount of bowls will depend on the amount of colors you want for your cupcakes.
- 3Add a generous amount of gel food coloring to each bowl until you have a vibrant batter.
- 4I usually mix 7 bowls - red, orange, pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
- 5Line your muffin tin with paper cups and then begin spooning the colored batter into the cups.
- 6Add batter color by color, one tablespoon of red in each of the cups, then added a tablespoon of orange on top of the red, and so on until all colors were used. The colors will not "leak".
- 7Fill the cups approximately 2/3 full of batter.
- 8Bake as directed on the box.
- 9Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, and frost to your liking.
- 10I used whipped cream cheese frosting to give the cupcakes a "cloud" effect.